Friday, September 7, 2012

Vegan Pesto

One of my favorite staple recipes is this pesto. I'm so excited to share it with you!
 
It's Vegan and Paleo and oh so yummy! I add this as a sauce to everything, fish, veggies, as a seasoning in turkey burgers or meatballs. Top tomatoes with a spoonful of this... heaven.
 

The "stuff"

3 cups basil
2-4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup pecans
1/4 tsp salt
dash pepper
1/4 tsp white balsamic
Food processor

 

The "process"

Add peeled garlic cloves to food processor, chop finely, scraping the sides as you go.
 
Add washed, basil leaves (stems removed) to food processor, continue chopping with garlic. My food processor is small (see pic) so I add about a cup at a time, scraping down the sides as I go. 
 
Once all basil & garlic are processed , add nuts, balsamic, salt and pepper and grind. When it is starts to form a fine paste, add olive oil. 
 
Taste to adjust the seasonings. Add more balsamic if it needs more acid and salt/pepper accordingly.

Store in a sealed container in the fridge for about a week.

 

Notes

* Substitute other kinds of nuts, pine nuts, walnuts, etc.
* Everything is an approximation. Make this to suite your tastes.
* If you eat cheese, good for you! Feel free to add Parmesan after you chop the garlic.
* Don't take pictures of food at night, after work in a semi dark'ish kitchen. They look bad. See example below. (I guess that is more of a note to self.)

 
mid way through the process (Bad pic! Whoops!)
PS: Next time better pics. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment